Monday, July 14, 2008

Independence Day 5K


So, my whole family(except for me) decided to do the Grantsville races this year. Ben and Jason ran the 5K and Vincent and Rae ran the kids 1 mile. We got up at 6:00 and hurried to Grantsville to get everyone signed in. I was a little concerned about Vince and Rae because neither of them really runs very much and they hadn't trained a whole lot. But I needn't have worried. Vince was awesome, he stayed with Rae and just "coached" her on. She came in third to last, doing a nice little jog, not panting a bit, no sweat in sight. Vince was right behind her, and VERY sweaty and THIRSTY. I was so proud of both of them, Rae for finishing and Vincent for being such a fabulous big brother.

Ben and Jason had to hop on the bus before the kids race really even started. They dissapeared into the wilderness and I went back to cheering on the kids. After the 1 mile was done, Rae and Vince jumped into the car with me and we drove up about 1/3 of the way through the 5K. We waited and waited until finally the runners started passing and we got to give Ben and Jason a big cheer. Then we drove back to the end of the race and waited. Both Ben and Jason came in within about 30 seconds of each other. They did great... I love it how my guys enjoy running together. Anyway, when they announced the winners of the childrens 1 mile, we were all amazed to hear Rae's name called for first place in Girls 5-6 bracket.... (remember, she came in third to last overall)... but I guess that's what happens when you're the only girl in that bracket and she is very excited about her medal.

Ben came in third in the Men's 31-35 bracket. He is awesome. I think the ribbon should say something like "I came in third in the Grantsville 5K and all I got was this itty bitty ribbon". Pretty cool anyway. I think it's time for me to learn how to run so I can actually fit in my family... but then again, who'll take the pictures? Decisions, decisions.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

That's so cool! I love your family! We were at the Tooele parade for about the fourth year. It's getting kind of old so I think we may have to try the Grantsville parade next year. My kids love a parade! Or at least the candy you get at the parade.

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow!!! I am so impressed that Ben won 3rd!!! Awesome!
I am very impressed that the kids ran, also!
What a great family. I am glad you had a great fourth!

briananddoris said...

So, we agree that you need to run with the rest of the gang. So how do you learn to run anyway?